I’m planning to add these changes to a final alpha release, scheduled for end of January:
- Animate bonus cooldown/timeout (for triple gun and shield) – done 2010-12-19
- An instruction interstitial between the main menu and the game. It’ll have a few “frames” showing various game actions, without words (where possible). (Formerly demo mode, which is hard and people probably wouldn’t enjoy it, anyway. MTTW) – done 2010-12-26 (albeit ugly)
- Achievements. Every game would track various stats in order to award achievements. They could be earned multiple times, making them a bit different than those on other systems. They’ll be basic things (was going to do like, 80% for X minutes, but it’s more trouble than it is worth) – done 2011-01-03
- Better “game over” screen that shows more stats – done 2011-01-03
- Rudimentary sound – done 2010-12-24
- A serious round of profiling and optimization. I’ve been profiling the game throughout but it could probably use a more concerted effort. There’s still too many places where memory is allocated mid-game, for instance. – “done” 2010-12-26, however it is one of those things that needs to be reexamined from time to time
All in all it will be an interesting bunch of additions that should make the game more polished. Past updates have been minor by comparison. This list will round out the entire set of features I have planned for the game, so once it is done and released, I’ll push it beta, do a few rounds of bug fixes (probably), and then, finally, glorious version 1.0. Ooh and ahh.