I’m still working on that yard project I started in May. In my sort-of defense I spent most of that time not working on the project. I decided to take this entire week off to “finish” it, or at least complete enough of it, and do whatever else is necessary to make it appear finished.
You can see the back of part of one section of the wall. You can also see the tree I planted today (this shot is from a day or two ago, I don’t remember, heh), still in its pot, on the right leaning up against the downspout.
14 yards of dirt. I originally ordered 20, but when I saw how big the first load was (it was to be delivered in 3 separate loads) I reduced the order. Some of it spilled in to my neighbor’s yard; not the driver’s fault (there’s only so much room) and lucky for me my neighbors are cool about it.
Here’s a full view of the project from the front “deck”. You can also see my neighbor’s yard and the work they’ve done — the caps they put on top of the blocks were all cut exactly to shape using a circular saw. They look great.
I had to make a compromise part way through the driveway wall part of the project. The project called for this entire wall to be made level, which required moving it back about a foot (so the blocks would not be resting on the driveway material). It isn’t “hard” work, it’s just really time consuming getting the base blocks level. I don’t think I have enough time to finish this part of the project before the week is out, and moving the dirt is a higher priority (before it starts growing shit) so I just made it look as good as I could.
I’m renting a Bobcat for tomorrow, to finish moving the 13.7 yards of dirt that remain on the driveway. I decided the compromise mentioned above before I decided to rent the Bobcat, so who knows, maybe I can finish that wall stage of the project after all.